SIMTI - Materials Science and Engineering for Innovative Technologies
SIMTI pursues the common calling of its members to combine fundamental research with technological and pre-industrial development of innovative materials. The aim is to build a multifaceted cultural identity, which can apply to all class of materials and their combinations in order to define a sound, integrated and highly competitive approach to meet the demanding and complex requirements of new materials and innovative fabrication technologies. Scientific collaboration with international partners and companies, leaders in the material and device fabrication, is SIMTI priority. In particular, the focus is on new knowledge and technology development to be combined, complemented and supported by the acquisition of structural funds from European and International bodies. The scientific reputation of SIMTI and the significant presence of its members in leading bodies and boards are key to support the natural vocation of SIMTI members towards innovative research and technology development.
- Study of processes and innovative technologies for the production, consolidation and eventual thermal treatments of alloys for high temperature applications, of tools for cold and hot forming, of light alloys, of iron based alloys with advanced properties and of precious metals, with the goal of extending their industrial application, also in agreement with the main leaders of each respective sector at national and international levels
- Optimization of Additive Manufacturing for the production of components impossible to be obtained with other manufacturing processes and evaluation of the characteristics of the products as function of processing parameters
- Development of ceramics and micro and nanostructured composites for extreme environments (turbines for energy and propelling applications at high temperature T>1300°C).
- Development and recycling of nanocomposites for structural and functional applications in the field of transport
- Development of innovative ceramic compositions and treatments to fabricate new devices for sensors, mechanical, thermal and biomedical applications.
- Tailoring of powders and ceramics at the nano-micro and macro structural level.
- Design and development of innovative materials, specifically referring to bioplastics and reactive-extrusion processes in order to provide peculiar functionalities suitable for enhancing their flame redardancy and thermo-mechanical features as well.
- Surface engineering devoted to: i) design and obtainment of multifunctional coatings having enhanced thermal, antibacterial and fire behavior; ii) utilization of microorganisms suitable for degrading elastomeric systems (even vulcanized)
- Development of new metallic materials and components through additive manufacturing technologies
- Increase the penetration of additive manufacturing in the industrial environment through the development of next generation machines.
- 3D composite scaffold fabrication and development of new injectable cements for bone regeneration
- Development of antifouling surfaces and multifunctional nanocarriers able to release therapeutic ions and drugs or biomolecules
Leader: FINO PAOLO
Permanent staff: ACTIS GRANDE MARCO , AVERSA ALBERTA , BADINI CLAUDIO FRANCESCO , BIAMINO SARA , BONDIOLI FEDERICA , LOMBARDI MARIANGELA , MARCHESE GIULIO , MONTANARO LAURA , PADOVANO ELISA , PALMERO PAOLA , PAVESE MATTEO , SABOORI ABDOLLAH , TULLIANI JEAN MARC CHRISTIAN , UGUES DANIELE , VITALE BROVARONE CHIARA
PhD, Post-docs and Grant researchers: BASSINI EMILIO , BOSIO FEDERICO , CALANDRI MICHELE , CARROZZA ALESSANDRO , LUPONE FEDERICO , OSTROVSKAYA OXANA , PARIZIA SIMONE , PIETROLUONGO MARIO , SIVO ANTONIO , VIRGILLITO ENRICO
Leader: MONTANARO LAURA
Permanent staff: BADINI CLAUDIO FRANCESCO , BIAMINO SARA , FINO PAOLO , FIORILLI SONIA LUCIA , LOMBARDI MARIANGELA , PALMERO PAOLA , PAVESE MATTEO , TULLIANI JEAN MARC CHRISTIAN , VITALE BROVARONE CHIARA
Materials for high temperatures and nanocomposites
Leader: BADINI CLAUDIO FRANCESCO
Permanent staff: ACTIS GRANDE MARCO , BIAMINO SARA , DOGLIONE ROBERTO , FINO PAOLO , LOMBARDI MARIANGELA , MONTANARO LAURA , PALMERO PAOLA , PAVESE MATTEO , PETER ILDIKO , ROSSO MARIO , TULLIANI JEAN MARC CHRISTIAN , UGUES DANIELE
Leader: ROSSO MARIO
Permanent staff: ACTIS GRANDE MARCO , BADINI CLAUDIO FRANCESCO , BIAMINO SARA , DOGLIONE ROBERTO , FINO PAOLO , LOMBARDI MARIANGELA , PAVESE MATTEO , PETER ILDIKO , UGUES DANIELE , VITALE BROVARONE CHIARA