- J-TECH@POLITO: J-TECH@POLITO provides advanced expertise and technology transfer on joining of materials, on joining technologies and characterization techniques, by a top-class centre . http://www.j-tech.polito.it/ We are open to collaborations with companies, universities, research centers. J-TECH@POLITO is available for outsourced research, problem solving, project management, custom hands-on training and custom lecturing activity for companies and SMEs. Subject of the collaboration will be directly agreed with customers. English and French speaking personnel is currently available for lecturing and training in a multicultural research environment. All activities will benefit from the expertise of the founding Departments –DIMEAS (Dept. of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering), DISAT (Dept. of Applied Science and Technology), DIGEP (Dept. of Management and Production Engineering) – in a multi-disciplinary cooperative approach.
- VITRIFICATION AND RE-USE OF INDUSTRIAL WASTE: vitrification of Municipal Solid Waste Incinerators (MSWI) bottom ash, fly ash and ash coming from other combustion plants (e.g. biomass combustion plants).
Vitrification make them inert and suitable for many applications such as: tiles, glass fibers, concretes, bituminous conglomerates, porous insulating materials, etc..
Leaching test according to national standard are routinely done to guarantee materials suitability.
Patent: ITTO20130151: VECTER: Structural insulating system for buildings, obtained by waste
- JOINING: Joining of materials/components: custom joining materials, technologies and characterization for several specific applications: automotive, aerospace, energy storage&transformation, nuclear energy, etc.
- COATINGS: We develop and test custom coatings, new coating technologies, coatings for extreme applications (energy storage and transformation, concentrated solar, Solid Oxide Cells and nuclear applications); protective coatings and sealant materials; coatings for biomedical applications; new surface treatments to enhance bioactivity and bioactivity of metallic materials. http://www.composites.polito.it/
- GLASS: We prepare and characterize "custom" glasses, glass-ceramics and their composites, in the form of bulk-, joining-, coating-, porous- , thin films- and fibre-materials. http://www.composites.polito.it/ Glasses as joining materials, as protective coatings and sealant materials; bioactive glasses, glass-ceramics and composites, as coatings or bulk or porous materials; new glasses, thin films and fibers for photonics; recycling of vitrified and not vitrified wastes. Metal-glasses. http://www.composites.polito.it/
- ANTIMICROBIAL / VIRUCIDAL COATINGS: Innovative coating composed of a glassy matrix and metal nanoparticles with antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, which can be modulated according to the applications, deposited via co-sputtering on any substrate from metals to ceramic to polymers, and with high thermal resistances, chemical and mechanical without releasing nanoparticles into the surrounding environment.
The innovative coating with antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties, is composed of a glass or ceramic matrix (silica, alumina, titania or others), capable of incorporating silver nanoparticles or other metals such as zinc and copper. The coating is obtained via co-sputtering (industrial and eco-friendly technique) in which two or more massive targets are simultaneously deposited on a substrate of any material (metal, ceramic, polymer). The coating, thanks to the matrix, is characterized by high thermal, chemical and mechanical resistances capable of withstanding various thermal cycles up to temperatures of 450 ° C without changing its antimicrobial properties and without releasing nanoparticles into the surrounding environment. The antimicrobial power that occurs through the ionic release can be modulated according to the applications through the optimization of the process parameters.
Products and objects of common and daily use (mobile phones);
Personal protection systems;
Parts of the aerospace inflatable modules subject to proliferation of microorganisms.
Metal nanoparticles incorporated in the matrix and not released into the environment;
Release of metal ions modulated according to the applications;
High thermal, mechanical and chemical resistance thanks to the matrix;
Eco-friendly industrial method sputtering.
M. Ferraris, C. Balagna, S. Perero
Method for the Application of an Antiviral Coating to a Substrate and Relative Coating