Metrology for Process Engineering
Process Engineering uses modelling, measurement and control to exploit chemical and biochemical processes. Each of them is a source of uncertainty that contribute to the uncertainty of the performance of processes. Scaling up processes from laboratory scale, requires not only understanding the behaviour of a system but its metrological requirements. Metrological analysis ensure the system yields keep the expected reproducibility, stability and accuracy at any scale.
The group of Metrology for Process Engineering focus mainly on the analysis and design of chemical and biological equipment and measurement systems to improve the performance of processes. We collaborate with National Metrology Institutes (NMIs) in Europe in the preparation of reference standard materials and procedures for different applications.
The group takes part in the preparation of standard procedures for technical analysis in Export Compliance (EC) and provides external consulting services for industries and external parties involved in exporting activities.
Main research topics
- Development of sampling devices for quantification of biomarkers of lung diseases in breath.
- Analysis of sampling systems in gas metrology devices, to quantify the uncertainty due to interactions between reactive gases and commercial materials.
- Design of a generation device to produce reference gas mixture of reactive gases in different matrices.
- Design of bioreactor for human tissue production.
- Development of sampling methods for PCR analysis for viral load detection in human exhaled breath..
ERC KEYWORD: Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Metrology and Measurement
FREE KEYWORDS: Measurement Science, Uncertainty quantification. Export compliance
- Gruppo PLYMAT, DISAT, Politecnico di Torino
- Gruppo Metrologia delle Bioscienze, INRIM
- EIFEC European Institute for Export Compliance
- Chemistry Group VSL – Nederlands Metrologisch Instituut
- BAM - Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und -prüfung
- ZAG Slovenian National Building and Civil Engineering Institute
Selected funded research projects
METROLOGY FOR AIRBORNE MOLECULAR CONTAMINANTS
2018 - 2021 (Completed)
METROLOGY FOR VOC INDICATORS IN AIR POLLUTION AND CLIMATE CHANGE”
2014 - 2017 (Completed)
EMRP - MODELLING SIMULATION AND DESIGN OF A VOC MIXTURE GENERATION DEVICE
2013 - 2016 (Completed)
COMPLIANCE TO COUNCIL REGULATIONS (EC) NO.428/2009 E 267/2012
2013 - 2013 (Completed)
METROLOGYON A CELLULAR SCALE FOR REGENERATIVE MEDICINE(REGENMED)
2011 - 2011 (Completed)
- METROLOGY FOR AIRBORNE MOLECULAR CONTAMINANTS
Selected recent publications
Compact devices for generation of reference trace VOC mixtures: a new concept in assuring quality at chemical and biochemical laboratories
Demichelis, Alessia; Pascale, Céline; Lecuna, Maricarmen; Niederhauser, Bernhard; Sassi, Guido; Sassi, Maria Paola
ANALYTICAL AND BIOANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
pp.10 (pp.1-10) ISSN:1618-2642 DOI:10.1007/s00216-018-0935-8
Development of a primary diffusion source of organic vapors for gas analyzer calibration
Lecuna, M.; Demichelis, A.; Sassi, G.; Sassi, M. P.
MEASUREMENT SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
Institute of Physics Publishing
Vol.29 pp.12 ISSN:0957-0233 DOI:10.1088/1361-6501/aa9ef6
Molar fraction stability in dynamic preparation of reference trace gas mixtures
Demichelis, Alessia; Sassi, Guido; Lecuna, Maricarmen; Sassi, Maria Paola
IET SCIENCE, MEASUREMENT & TECHNOLOGY
pp.5 ISSN:1751-8822 DOI:10.1049/iet-smt.2015.0051
Preparation of standard VOC mixtures for climate monitoring
Sassi, Guido; Demichelis, Alessia; Lecuna, Maricarmen; Sassi, Maria Paola
INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY
Taylor and Francis Ltd.
Vol.95 pp.13 (pp.1195-1207) ISSN:0306-7319 DOI:10.1080/03067319.2015.1016015
A reference device for evaluating the thermal behavior of installed multilayered wall containing a phase change material
Pagliolico, S.L; Sassi, G.; Cascone, Y.; Bongiovanni, R.M.
ENERGY CONVERSION AND MANAGEMENT
Vol.106 pp.9 (pp.1409-1417) ISSN:0196-8904 DOI:10.1016/j.enconman.2015.10.061
- Compact devices for generation of reference trace VOC mixtures: a new concept in assuring quality at chemical and biochemical laboratories