MuSyChEn - Multiphase Systems and Chemical Engineering
The research group MuSyChEn of Politecnico di Torino adopts methods and tools which are typical of Chemical Engineering to develop process and technologies for multiphase systems. The research activity includes several subjects, such as: development of innovative processes in chemical, pharmaceutical and textile engineering; study of materials behaviour, risk and safety in chemical processes …
The investigation is always based on the study of the underlying chemical and physical processes, using the tools of thermodynamics, chemical kinetics and transport phenomena to analyze the individual steps of the process. In this context, within the group, growing importance is assuming the ability to conduct simulations on different levels (from the molecular scale to the plant scale) and effectively transfer information from one level to the next.
Another aspect concerns the study of the properties and surface reactions of matter, with regard to corrosion and electrochemical phenomena affecting the industrial and biomedical fields and the conservation of cultural heritage. In the latter sector, an interesting line of research has been developed, with the aim of designing innovative monitoring systems for the assessment of atmospheric corrosion.
- Development of next generation nanomaterials (for improved pharmaceutical therapeutics) by using advanced technologies (microfluidic reactors, micro-reactors, ...)
- Design of innovative technologies (continuous processes) for pharmaceuticals freeze-drying
- Valorization of biomasses and wastes for energy production
- Use of open-source license-free simulation tools, that are therefore affordable for the small and medium enterprises, constituting the backbone of the Italian industrial system, and that are often reluctant in initiating modelling activities with costly commercial codes.
- Develop innovative approaches for on-the-fly real-time multiscale modelling based on the use of database, surrogate models and software adaptors.
- Development of medical textiles and textile goods with smart functionalities to increase added value of garments and related hygiene. A specific project, MATEX, is already financed in this field
- Development of bio-based synthetic fibres to progressively abandon oil dependence. In particular, polyester structures are foreseen to offer this possibility.
- Devising new methodologies, tools and approaches to deal with emerging risks and technologies.
- Improvement of the knowledge about electrochemical and corrosion phenomena of metals and alloys; Development of eco-sustainable materials and processes for application in the protection of cultural heritage
- Design and implementation of a transportable device for the production of reference mixtures of VOC at trace level for the traceability of climate change measurements in the network GAW-WMO.
Leader: BOSCO FRANCESCA
Permanent staff: CHIAMPO FULVIA , MOLLEA CHIARA
Process System Engineering
Leader: FISSORE DAVIDE
Permanent staff: BARRESI ANTONELLO , PISANO ROBERTO
PhD, Post-docs and Grant researchers: BOBBA SERENA , COLUCCI DOMENICO , HARGUINDEGUY MAITE
Molecular Engineering Lab (MolE)
Leader: PISANO ROBERTO
Permanent staff: BARRESI ANTONELLO , BOCCARDO GIANLUCA , LIMONGI TANIA
PhD, Post-docs and Grant researchers: ADALI MERVE BETUL , MASSOTTI VINCENZO , MOINO CAMILLA , PASERO LORENA , ROSPICCIO MARCELLO , STRATTA LORENZO , SUSA FRANCESCA , UDRESCU CLAUDIA IULIANA
Multiscale modelling for materials science and process engineering
Leader: VANNI MARCO
Permanent staff: BARRESI ANTONELLO , BOCCARDO GIANLUCA , BUFFO ANTONIO , FERRI ADA , FISSORE DAVIDE , MARCHISIO DANIELE , PISANO ROBERTO
PhD, Post-docs and Grant researchers: AGOSTINI ENRICO , BANETTA LUCA , DE ROMA FRANCESCO , FENG YI , FERRARI MARCO , LAURIELLO NUNZIA , MANISCALCO FRANCESCO , MARCATO AGNESE , QUERIO ANDREA , RAPONI ANTONELLO , SHIEA MOHSEN , VASQUEZ GIULIANO LORENZO
Leader: FERRI ADA
Permanent staff: BARRESI ANTONELLO
PhD, Post-docs and Grant researchers: MASSELLA DANIELE , ROY JAGADISH CHANDRA
SAfeR – Safety, Reliability and Risks Centre
Leader: DEMICHELA MICAELA
PhD, Post-docs and Grant researchers: BALDISSONE GABRIELE , COMBERTI LORENZO , MURE' SALVINA , PILONE ELEONORA
Permanent staff: GRASSINI SABRINA
PhD, Post-docs and Grant researchers: DI FRANCIA ELISABETTA , ELSAYED AHMED MAHMOUD , IANNUCCI LEONARDO , LOMBARDO LUCA
Metrology for Process Engineering
Leader: SASSI GUIDO
PhD, Post-docs and Grant researchers: KHAN BILAL ALAM , LECUNA TOVAR MARICARMEN LEANDRA