The “Applied biotechnology research” team belonging to the MuSyChEn group, carries out specific research activity in the fields of applied microbiology, biochemistry and molecular biology of proteins and nucleic acids.
The main topics in the applied microbiology field are:
I) valorisation of agri-food industry waste and by-products by means of biomacromolecules extraction and microbial fermentation;
II) development of antimicrobial susceptibility tests for the characterization of natural compounds;
III) isolation and cultivation of microorganisms from environmental and food matrices ;
IV) fermentations for the production of microbial biomass, biomacromolecules, and building blocks;
V) development of microcosms to study biodegradation processes;
VI) development of sensors to monitor food borne mycotoxigenic microorganisms.
The main topics in the biochemistry and molecular biology fields are:
I) characterization of proteins for the production of protein-based films;
II) kinetic studies of enzyme biodegradation;
III) extraction of nucleic acids and proteins from waste biomass;
IV) characterization of nucleic acids and proteins;
V) development and characterization of DNA and RNA encapsulated in different matrices.
Main research topics
- Development of green methods for biomacromolecules extraction.
- Valorisation processes applied to agri-food industry waste and by-products: I) biomacromolecules extraction and purification by means of green processes; II) fermentation processes for the production of bioplastics, organic acids, and antioxidant molecules.
- Microcosm studies for the optimization of biodegradation processes (biostimulation, bioaugmentation, mycoremediation)
- Monitor and control of the microbial deterioration in libraries and archives.
- Assessment and management of the microbial deterioration of flood-damaged paper.
- Essential oils application to control biodeteriogenic microorganisms.
- Set-up of methods for antimicrobial susceptibility applying surrogate microorganisms.
- Production of films with antimicrobial properties to be applied in the medical and food fields.
- Set-up of systems for nucleic acid-based drug delivery.
- Development of microcosms for the evaluation of mycotoxin production.
- CNR - IMAMOTER Institute for Agricultural Mechanization Sciences and for Earth-Moving Machinery and Off-Road Vehicles
- CREA – IT Council for Agricultural Research and Agricultural Economics - Research Centre for Engineering and Agro-Food Processing
- UPO – DISIT Department of Sciences and Technological Innovation
- UNITO – Department of Life Sciences and Systems Biology
- UNITO - Department of Chemistry
- BRAF - Biorefineries Fed with Residual Biomasses
- POLITO-PREP Health and Safety Services Unit
- POLITO – DISAT Department of Applied Science and Technology: POLYMAT, Polymeric Materials group and SMAC, Supercritical fluid and MAterials Chemistry group.
- POLITO – DIATI , Department of Environment, Land and Infrastructure Engineering - Applied Geophysics area and Environmental Sanitary Engineering area.
- UNIPV - Department of Drug Sciences
- CNR-ISP - Institute for the Sustainable Plant Protection
- Vellore Institute of Technology – School of Civil Engineering
Projects and publications
Selected funded research projects
VALUTAZIONE DELLA CARICA MICROBICA DI TESSUTI NATURALI
2017 - 2018 (Completed)
GEOPHYSICAL METHOD TO MONITOR SOIL REMEDIATION / METODI GEOFISICI PER MONITORARE BONIFICHE DI TERRENI PER VIA BIOLOGICA
CHIAMPO FULVIA, GODIO ALBERTO
2017 - 2017 (Completed)
STUDIO SU TECNOLOGIE DI UTILIZZO COMMERCIALE PER IA PURIFICAZIONE DEL BIOGAS
2017 - 2017 (Completed)
- VALUTAZIONE DELLA CARICA MICROBICA DI TESSUTI NATURALI
Selected recent publications
Electromagnetic Properties Monitoring to Detect Different Biodegradation Kinetics in Hydrocarbon-Contaminated Soil
Vergnano, A.; Raffa, C. M.; Godio, A.; Chiampo, F.
Vol.6 pp.14 ISSN:2571-8789 DOI:10.3390/soilsystems6020048
From Agri-Food Wastes to Polyhydroxyalkanoates through a Sustainable Process
Verdini, Federico; Tabasso, Silvia; Mariatti, Francesco; Bosco, Francesca; Mollea, Chiara; Calcio Gaudino, Emanuela; Cirio, Alessio; Cravotto, Giancarlo
Vol.8 pp.18 ISSN:2311-5637 DOI:10.3390/fermentation8100556
Application of Essential Oils to Control the Biodeteriogenic Microorganisms in Archives and Libraries
Bosco, Francesca; Mollea, Chiara; Demichela, Micaela; Fissore, Davide
Vol.5 pp.15 (pp.2181-2195) ISSN:2571-9408 DOI:10.3390/heritage5030114
Zero Liquid Discharge System for the Tannery Industry—An Overview of Sustainable Approaches
Ricky, Rajamanickam; Shanthakumar, Subramanian; Pattukandan Ganapathy, Ganapathy; Chiampo, Fulvia
Vol.7 pp.17 ISSN:2313-4321 DOI:10.3390/recycling7030031
Efficacy of Ciprofloxacin and Amoxicillin Removal and the Effect on the Biochemical Composition of Chlorella vulgaris
Ricky, Rajamanickam; Chiampo, Fulvia; Shanthakumar, Subramaniam
Vol.9 pp.12 ISSN:2306-5354 DOI:10.3390/bioengineering9040134
PHA production from cheese whey and “scotta”: Comparison between a consortium and a pure culture of Leuconostoc mesenteroides
Bosco, F.; Cirrincione, S.; Carletto, R.; Marmo, L.; Chiesa, F.; Mazzoli, R.; Pessione, E.
Vol.9 pp.13 ISSN:2076-2607 DOI:10.3390/microorganisms9122426
Whey Proteins–Zinc Oxide Bionanocomposite as Antibacterial Films
Pino, Paolo; Ronchetti, Silvia; Mollea, Chiara; Sangermano, Marco; Onida, Barbara; Bosco, Francesca
Vol.13 pp.17 ISSN:1999-4923 DOI:10.3390/pharmaceutics13091426
Integrated use of chemical and geophysical monitoring to study the diesel oil biodegradation in microcosms with different operative conditions
Raffa, CARLA MARIA; Vergnano, Andrea; Chiampo, Fulvia; Godio, Alberto
JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCE & ENGINEERING
pp.14 ISSN:2052-336X DOI:10.1007/s40201-021-00681-2
Biodegradation of Natural Rubber: Microcosm Study
Bosco, Francesca; Mollea, Chiara
WATER AIR AND SOIL POLLUTION
Kluiver Academic Publisher
Vol.232 pp.15 ISSN:0049-6979 DOI:10.1007/s11270-021-05171-7
Selective Removal of Diesel Oil Hydrocarbons in Aerobic Bioremediation
Raffa, CARLA MARIA; Chiampo, Fulvia; Vergnano, Andrea; Godio, Alberto
Vol.11 pp.12 ISSN:2076-3417 DOI:10.3390/app11041471
- Electromagnetic Properties Monitoring to Detect Different Biodegradation Kinetics in Hydrocarbon-Contaminated Soil