GLANCE - Glasses Ceramics and Composites
At GLANCE (Glasses Ceramics and Composites) research team we prepare and characterize "custom" glasses, glass-ceramics and their composites, in the form of bulk-, joining-, coating-, porous-, thin films- and fibers for a wide range of applications such as aerospace, automotive, energy, photonics, biomedical applications and circular economy.
Expertise on metals and polymers is also present at GLANCE.
A wide range of materials’ characterization techniques are available, along with the necessary expertise to discuss results and to propose solutions.
Problem-solving applied to materials provided to companies and SMEs.
Custom hands-on training and short courses are available: topics are directly agreed with companies, research centers, and SMEs.
Main research topics
- Joining materials, technologies and thermo-mechanical tests for metals, glasses, ceramics, and composites. Development of joining technologies and surface engineering of ceramics and ceramic matrix composites.
- Design and processing of glass-ceramic based sealants and protective coatings on metallic interconnects in solid oxide cells stacks and sodium-based batteries. Fabrication, surface treatments and characterization of new materials for lithium air battery; laser surface treatments of Cu or Al current collectors for batteries to enhance the long-term performance and facilitate recycling. Development of protective coatings for thermo-electrics operating temperature higher than 500°C.
- Synthesis and surface functionalization of glasses for biomedical applications; bioactive glasses doped with ions with antibacterial and therapeutic functionalities; scaffolds for tissue engineering; development of multifunctional bioceramics with high bioactivity and magnetic properties. Development of coatings and surface functionalization treatments for implant, biomaterials for tissue integration, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory action, selective protein adsorption and high surface mechanical properties through techniques with low cost and low environmental impact (use of bio-based materials or coming from other value chains). Bio-based coatings for steel to reduce the corrosion rate. Modulation of the degradation rate of bioresorbable Mg alloys through coatings with natural biomolecules. Sputtered coatings with antiviral/antimicrobial properties. Ferrimagnetic materials and superparamagnetic nanoparticles for the treatment of tumors and theranostics. Metals and surface treatments for biomedical applications: new surface treatments to enhance bioactivity, protein adsorption, and cytocompatibility of Ti and Mg alloys; anti-fouling, antibacterial, anticorrosion coatings, and new materials for wear applications (e.g. prostheses). Characterization of Shape memory alloys.
- Glasses for photonics, specialty optical fibers, multimaterial and multifunctional optical fibres by extrusion for preform fabrication and waveguides for optical devices (laser, amplifiers, light sources). Development of optical fibres in bioresorbable materials and demonstration for biophotonics applications, drug release and photosensitization. Optical sensing in Building Information Model for smart cities. Development and characterization of superparamagnetic iron-oxide naoparticles (SPIONs) with surface modifications prone to the industrial scale transfer, such as inorganic shells, decoration with plasmonic nanoparticles, and/or functionalization with drugs or biomolecules, for the realization of nanovectors with high versatility for biomedical applications.
- Recycling wastes for a circular economy: vitrification and/or reuse of industrial waste and Municipal Solid Waste Incinerator ash.
- Design, fabrication and characterization of porous materials for thermal insulation (e.g. porous glasses, ceramics and composites) in the frame of building and circular economy applications, also by using 3D printing strategies.
For Projects and publications, please search GLANCE members' name on POLITO webpage.
- Biomaterials Laboratory
- Composites Laboratory
- Furnaces and Additive manufacturing Laboratory
- Glasses for Photonics Laboratory
- Laboratory for Surface treatments and climatic chamber
- Laboratory of Polymer matrix composites
- Laboratory of Thermal Analysis 2
- Materials for Energy Laboratory
- Photopolymer Laboratory
- Sensor Laboratory
- Sputtering Laboratory
- ANELLI SIMONE
- BAGGIO ANDREA
- BERGOGLIO MATTEO
- CIUFFI LAURA MARIA
- GABRIELI ROBERTA
- GAMNA FRANCESCA
- GATTUCCI FRANCESCA
- LALLUKKA MARI SOFIA
- LO BUE ROSARIA
- LUCERI ANGELICA
- MALINVERNI CARLA
- MEENA NARAYANA MENON DEVANARAYANAN
- NAGAR MALHAR
- NICHITEAN ANDREIA MIHAELA
- PERERO SERGIO
- PEZZANA LORENZO
- PORCARELLO MATILDE
- REGGIO CAMILLA
- ROSSANESE ANNA
- ROVERA ALBERTO
- SAFFIRIO SOFIA
- SESIA ROSSELLA
- TALLONE PAOLO
- TANCAU ALEXANDRU
- ZANCHI ELISA